Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Of horrible drives, excellent short game and accurate putts

Well, as I have said in my previous post, we were gonna play golf on Tuesday and we did. Peter, his brother Daniel and Simon. This is the second time I played at Palm Villa in the last two weeks.

The previous night I had just 1 hour of sleep as I was finishing up my 2nd TMA for EDZS2092 Child Development II. I had sahur at about 0445hrs and slept at 0515hrs till about 0615hrs. By 0900hrs, we were teeing off from the first hole of the IOI Course @ Palm Villa! The weather helped a bit in that it was overcast. In fact it rained heavily around lunchtime and the Club sounded the long continuous blasts of the siren to signal that play is to be stopped immediately due to lightning. So while the other 3 had lunch, I went to the changing room and caught some forty-winks.

My total score was 123 which was not too bad, having not been playing regularly in a while. As usual, my driving was horrible. If the ball managed to fly, it would hook to the right. If it went straight, it would fly...roll rather!...an embarrasing 50m away! But my short game was much much better. I was more confident of my irons especially my favourite 7 iron. If my drive was decent for a particular hole, I would usually get on the green by the bogey shot. My chipping was ok too. Managed to let the ball fly a high trajectory near the hole. My bunker shots was nicely executed with the prerequisite sand flying together with the ball as it should be. And my putting put Simon to envy! I holed the longest putt of the day of about 30 feet. And managed to get my balls within 1 club length on long putts. Oh, managed to get a par on one of the Par 3s...Had a good shot with my 7 iron and the shot landed on the green. Frustrated with my drive, I used the 3 iron on the 26th hole instead of the driver and it went quite a distance. But Simon advised me to use my 'original' driver instead of the smaller Callaway one. Strangely enough, taking his advise, I hit my longest and straightest drive on the last hole! It flew up the slope, a good 200+ meters! The breakdown of my shots are as follows: 5% pars, 16% each for bogeys and double bogeys, 61% triple bogeys +. Well, you'll see me more at the driving range working on my driving...

Here are the guys who played...(moi, Peter, Simon, Daniel)

No comments: