Thursday, May 01, 2008

Where were you went it happened?

The First Daughter came home from school the other day and told us about the Challenger explosion! Wow...the things they teach in school today...and at such a young age! She related to us what her teacher had told her - about there being a teacher on board, about people being sad when it happened, etc. I told her that I vividly remembered EXACTLY what I was doing when I first heard the news...I was in Sec 2 then and I was putting on my shoes just as I was going to school when I saw it on TV...I remembered being glued to the TV but was subsequently shooed away by Dad lest I was late for school. That event will be forever etched in my memory - the explosion that is, not the shooing part! Apparently, this is a common phenomena when events that are out of the ordinary happened. People remember things tied to that event....So...where were you and what were you doing when the following happened?
  • Collapse of Hotel New World - it happened in the same year as the Challenger disaster. However, I can't seem to re-collect what I was doing when it happened. But I remembered trying to follow events as best as any 14 year old at that time could do!
  • Hijack of SQ117 - I was just a raw recruit then and was waiting for my turn to do the SAW Technical Handling Test at the training shed and I remembered listening to the radio that one of my sergeants had brought along. 
  • The day Princess D died - I just got married then and remembered watching the news with my newly-minted wife at her mom's place. (We haven't got our own place yet then!)
  • Events of Sept 11 - Believe it or not, I was on a flight to New Zealand with the wife for a holiday! We didn't know about the whole thing (for obvious reason!) until we had landed. I first heard the news from the driver who drove us to our hotel! Needless to say, we were glued to CNN for the next couple of hours.
  • When The Tsunami happened - It was a Sunday and we were having some family time at West Coast Park when it happened. Nary a jolt did we feel...

No comments: