Thursday, May 01, 2008

The sky's not the limit...165m is!

And so there we were having prata at Arena after our morning 'tekan' session by our UFO (Unit Fitness Officer) - who made us do a 2km 'warm-up' run followed by an interval training session around the 400m circumference of the parade square consisting of 3 x 1min 50sec sprint followed by another 3 continuous rounds at more or less the same speed! - when Yan said that the Singapore Flyer was having a promotion that will end soon. Pay 2 adult tix and 2 kids get in for free! Without much haste, I checked the internet using my E51 and found out that today is the last day of the promotion! If there ever was a reason to go up the Singapore Flyer, this would be it! The normal admission fee for kids 3-12 years old is about $20. So, I'm saving almost $50! Almost the price of a tin of the First Daughter's Pediasure milk! I booked through the net for a 1900hrs ride and told the wife about it! What a way to start of the May Day celebrations! But as the saying goes, "Manusia yang merancang, Tuhan yang menentukan" which roughly translates to (for my non-Malay speaking 'fans'...ahem!), "Man plans but the Almighty decides". There was a debrief session in the afternoon at work and by the time the whole thing was done, I left office only at 1810hrs!!! And according to my GPS, if I had gone straight to Marina Bay from camp, I could reach it by 1835hrs! Dang! To cut the long story short, we missed the 1900hrs 'flight' and I was left wondering what I could have bought with the $59 that was the price of the 2 tix! The good thing was that we didn't tell the girls that we're gonna take the Singapore Flyer but they kept asking what was the surprise! But of course I had a contingency plan. First was to try to reason with the ticketing people and try to get a change in time. Failing that, we could by another 2 tix and try to get a discount on the pretext that we had already paid so much. Or, we suck-thumb (Note to Stephane (I'm sure Glenn knows this right Glenn!? - this is a Singapore slang meaning bo-pian!) and just buy 2 more tix full-price! Whatever the case, we were gonna take the ride! Since we were already late, I decided to go to Fuji Xerox Tower in the CBD area to collect my D70 which was ready for collection. It was so clean and fresh. And everything worked fine! By the time we reached Marina Bay, it was already about 2000hrs! The Second Daughter had taken a nap and I was having a hard time trying to convince her to walk instead of me carrying her! The wife and FD had already gone ahead to get the tix. In the end, I had to carry the younger daughter. And the wife called to say that it was no problem changing the time on our tix! Selamat duit $60! The pix will be up later...

No comments: