Friday, April 11, 2008

50 more days to Sundown...

According to my Polar RS200 watch, it is 50 more days to the inaugural Sundown Marathon. I have been training hard with a group of umpires who have registered to run for the marathon. It'll be my first ever marathon and my aim is completion rather than competition! I've been running almost every day since I came with the advance party nearly 10 days ago. I ran 8km yesterday evening and will try to clock 12km later in the evening. The SDM (SunDown Marathon) runners went for a group run this morning, peeling off from the rest at the 2km turning point. We ran up the new road behind our camp, offering a very scenic view of the countryside and the imposing mountains to the east. We did 2mins hard and 1min slow all the way back to camp. It was to let us have a feeling of what it will feel like at the 30km mark, said our resident UFO who became our defacto 'coach'! We ended off by doing some dynamic lunges and other exercises which emphasised the thighs. By the third exercise, my legs felt like jelly! There's more, the UFO said! Let's go to the gym to trains our arms! By the end of this morning's session, my gluteaus maximus was thoroughly maxed out!!! I'm still feeling the effect in my thighs now! Oh well, more to come... Oh yah, was chased by about 4 dogs this morning as we were running thru the village! It was quite a site seeing grown men trying to out-scare the dogs! If only I had a camera with me then! But then again, I was busy running away from the dogs too! One of the 'hazards' of running here, I guess!

No comments: