Well, Game One just ended. My HQ breathe a sigh of relief and a round of 'Banzai' was heard across the darkened parade square as we gladly handed over our stuff to the incoming HQ. Tomorrow's our turn to be the Executing Units and OPFOR...things should look pretty interesting from the other side of the 'curtain'. I grew a bit pensive as I reflected upon the enormity of what we are doing. Our jubilation at capturing our objectives was tempered by a big, fat red 'X' over a company of mechanised infantry to indicate the loss of that company to hostile fire. My DS pointed out that in an actual situation, 133 funerals will be held at the void decks of HDB blocks across the island...And as operations got underway, constant reports were streaming in from the fighting at CHELET with the number of KIAs and WIAs. And as I received those reports, I took a moment to reflect what it would mean in 'real' life...One KIA meant a wife whose husband will never again walk through the front door and kissing her, one KIA meant a girl whose father will never again lift her up and hugging her with all his might, one KIA meant a mother whose son will never again kiss her hand when they meet...Some of the skills I train to the greatest of proficiency I hope that I will NEVER have to use ...that is the irony in what I do...
On a lighter note, my entire syndicate is getting hooked on "HEROES". Although Season One had just ended in the States, some of those who only heard of the buzz lately are watching them, thanks in part to the culture of 'sharing' we have in the syndicate...ahem...I would rank 'HEROES' the same as 'PRISON BREAK' which just ended Season 2...So, Jefri...I know you're reading this...GO WATCH IT!
Vesak Day is around the corner and although we would have prefered a Friday 'off' or 'self-study' day to further lengthen our much needed one-week break next week, the powers-that-be have decided that Friday will be our After-Action-Review. Oh well...gotta make the best use of Thursday to spend time with the girls...maybe we'll swim in the morning...The First Daughter is already swimming without her floaties! And she loves jumping off the deep end of the pool and swimming back to the side and doing it all over again! Her weekly swimming lessons have certainly shown results! Or maybe it's the 'pulau' blood in her! Even the Second Daughter does not hesistate to put on her floaties and swims around without insisting that we follow her every move. But of course, underlying all this is the fact that no matter how good our kids are at swimming, we must NOT take things for granted and take our eyes off them even for a minute... Well, we've almost achieved one of the essential skills in life in the form of swimming...On to cycling next...Nothing like scrapping one's knees to build character!!!
Monday, May 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment