Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Anzac Day

We celebrated Anzac Day today at the staff college with our brothers, John (from Australia) and Brendan (from New Zealand). They presented a short segment on what Anzac Day means to them. ANZAC (Australia & New Zealand Army Corp) Day is commemorated in Australia and New Zealand every year on 25th April to remember those who landed at Gallipoli in Turkey during World War I.

I had the privilege of attending an Anzac Day event in 1998 when I was on an exchange programme to Royal Military College, Duntroon in Canberra, Australia. It was a dawn service and we stood at the Parade Square in RMC while the emcee read the names of all the graduands from RMC who had sacrificed their lives in the service of their country. It was followed by a procession in town by veterans from past wars that Australia had participated in.

Now, as it was then, I can see what an emotional and moving experience it was for those involved. During John and Brendan's presentation, I was deeply moved when I read a short poem by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, Turkey's first president who, as commander of the 19th Division, led an Ottoman regiment in defence against the Allies. It honours the heroism and sacrifice of both the Anzac and Turkish troops who took part in the campaign. Written in 1934, it was Ataturk's tribute to those Anzacs who did not return from Gallipoli.


Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives...
You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country.
Therefore rest in peace.
There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us
where they lie side by side now here in this country of ours...
You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries
wipe away your tears;
your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace.
After having lost their lives on this land.
They have become our sons as well.

No comments: