Friday, July 28, 2006

3 typhoons and an earthquake

This trip has got to take the cake in terms of natural disasters! I have survived, like the title says, three typhoons and an earthquake since coming to Taiwan 3 loooooooooong weeks ago! When I landed in Kaohsiung International Airport, the tail end of the third typhoon of the year to hit Taiwan was being felt. Halfway through training in hot Pingtung (southern Taiwan), Typhoon Bilis hit us, causing a major training to be cancelled and on the first day of our R&R (yes, FIRST day of R&R), Typhoon Kaemi hit us! And just now, about 4 hours ago, an earthquake hit off the coast of Taiwan and the effect was felt all the way in my hotel room in Taipei!!!

All I can say is that I am thankful Singapore is sheltered from all these 'natural' phenomena. Yes, that's what travelling does to you. It makes you realise how lucky we are, how thankful we should be...

But Taiwan is not without it's beauty...In my next posting (I am currently writing this from the Evergreen Lounge, a complimentary stay mind you, of Chiang Kai Shek Airport while waiting for my 2020hrs flight back home), I shall put up some pictures of the beautiful sunsets and mountains in south Taiwan.

Gotta go now, let's pray for my safe flight back to the arms of my loved ones...amin...

1 comment:

Julie said...

that must be quite an experience huh.. and I agree that spending some time in a foreign country will make you appreciate your homeland a lot more..